Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Peter Pan Blues

One type of poem we studied in my poetry seminar class is the Blues poem. While the structure of this is only vaguely defined, there are general rules a poem needs to follow in order to fall in this category. These include but are not limited to repetition within the verses, a rhythm that can be set through such things as rhyme schemes and line lengths, and a sad topic. I wrote a poem talking about what it is like to see your hometown change from when you were a kid to when you're older. This was especially poignant for me because of my visits back home from college; even though I would only be gone for a month or two at a time, a lot of things would change. There is also the fact that growing up, in itself, is sad. So I worked that into my poem, repeating, though not directly, the lines that come before and I incorporate personal experiences in it. Places that I mention, such as Duffy park, are real. I called it The Peter Pan Blues, and I still think that's one of the most fitting titles I've had for any of the poems or stories I've written.



used to play at Duffy park
pumping legs on the swing
used to run ‘round Duffy park
flying high on the swing
before the sand was all scooped up
cement covering the whole thing

climbed trees in my backyard
gnarled branches were my throne
climbed all the trees in friends’ backyards
shoes off, branches were my throne
before the trees were defaced
to hang wires for our phones

played tag with all my neighbors
night protecting us from view
ran the block with neighbors
the dark night shading us from view
‘til new lights lit the street
and all the neighbors grew

high school’s lawn of green grass
where we played all our ballgames
huge field of green grass
perfect place to play our games
disappeared beneath a nursing home
so they could fix old-body pains

there is no Never Never Land
no place where time stands still
            it’s a nonexistent island
            cause time cannot stand still
            we may wish the world would never change
            but the truth is, it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment